Monday, January 19, 2009

AWP decisions

I am buying my plane tickets for AWP this week and when I just looked at the site I noticed that the off-site schedule has changed (it'd be worth the trip just for the off-site readings alone) Rabbit Light has been moved from Saturday to Friday. While this will let me go to the Best of Fence reading (K. Silem Mohammad and Peter Gizzi are the two readers at that event I am most excited about seeing) I am now faced with several difficult decisions to make Friday night. The main reason I want to go to the Rabbit Light is for Noah Eli Gordon and especially Abraham Smith's reading. Yet at the same time Dean Young & Eric Baus will be at a different venue (I have been reading a lot of Young's work lately. Friday I read "Skid" and the following day I reread "Embryoyo") and at another venue is a reading for Mandorla magazine with Kent Johnson as one of the listed readers! This isn't the first difficult decision I have had to made regarding this trip. In fact over the weekend I carefully wrote out a schedule so that I could better coordinate off-site events with the regular program.

I also noticed on the Art Institute's site that an Edvard Munch exhibit opens on Valentine's Day. Luckily I have not yet purchased my plane tickets so I am planning on returning later on the fifteenth so I can go see the exhibit. Once I return home there will be no shortage of readings for awhile. Four days after I return there is going to be a David Kirby reading, nearly two weeks later Aaron Kunin and Maggie Zurwaski, the following week C.D. Wright and a couple of weeks after that Aimee Nezhukumatathil.

No comments: