Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Daniil Kharms translator interview




Shortly before my shift ended tonight I finished "Today I Wrote Nothing" by Daniil Kharms, translated by Matvei Yankelevich (one of the founders of Ugly Duckling). I first encountered, or rather was floored by, Kharms work three years ago. At the time there were only a few translated volumes, all out of print. The recent translations and publications of the Oberiu group stand as one of the most exciting and important events in poetry of the past few years.
A site I check almost daily for new poetry audio is http://www.blogtalkradio.com/onword/ Tomorrow night Yankelevich will be interviewed on Shaindel Beers program "Translated By". This isn't the first time that the same day I finished a book I noticed that the author was scheduled for an interview. Most recently this happened right after I finished Will Alexander's "Sunrise in Armageddon."
Eugene Ostashevsky discusses the Oberiu in show #151 here: http://writing.upenn.edu/pennsound/x/XCP.html
and here is a link to twenty-four pieces by Kharms:

No comments: