Saturday, December 6, 2008

Fulcrum, Adonis

Despite working from 8-5 today I have managed to read quite a bit. I just finished the astonishing book by Adonis "Mihyar of Damascus: His Songs." Earlier today I read various poems in Fulcrum # 6. The works that stood out the most: George Seferis' "Thrush," the section of Boris Vian's poetry esp. "I'll Die of a Cancer of the Spine" which strangely echoes Vallejo's famous poem (I say strangely because I'm uncertain if Vian was familiar with the Vallejo poem, it's doubtful that he was) & contains the prophetic lines:


...I'll die like a daisy plucked
A little a lot passionately madly
Not at all without enthusiasm...


& ten poems by Quevedo, one of which "Love Constant Beyond Death" is easily one of the greatest love poems ever written in any language.

No comments: