Thursday, December 11, 2008

Turkish cinema




In one of Silliman's latest entries he writes about Turkish cinema. Although "Head-on" is a wonderful film worth watching I'd have to say that my favorite director from that fascinating country is Nuri Bilge Ceylan. There are currently two films available on dvd by Ceylan. "Distant" & "Climates". The first distributed by New Yorker Video & the second by Zeitgeist, both among the greatest film distribution companies around in this country.




"Distant" was very reminiscent of Tarkovsky, in several points during the film he is cited and in one scene one of the main characters is watching "Stalker". The second film, although retaining elements of the first, seems more influenced by Antonioni. Of the two "Climates" might be my favorite, but I was so amazed by the first that when "Climates" opened I immediately went to see it.

No comments: