Saturday, November 8, 2008

Movies













With rare exceptions I almost never buy movies. The reasons are numerous, the biggest ones being that once I have paid all of my usual living expenses (car payment, insurance, rent, etc.) purchasing books is top priority for any money I might have leftover, I also very rarely feel the desire to watch a movie more than once. However during the past week I have watched three movies I have seen before: David Fincher's "The Game", Christopher Nolan's "Memento" and Mike Newell's "Donnie Brasco." I probably watch more films than most people, but I also never watch t.v. Breaking with the statistic of most American homes having a higher number of television sets than people in them, my wife & I have two. We also don't have any form of cable, not even basic service. There are a few programs that I enjoy but I usually wait for them to be released on dvd, the number of current said programs is very limited. ("Flight of the Conchords," "The Office" even though I really only enjoyed seasons 2 & 3. The first one being only a remake of the original BBC series and the most recent one didn't contain anything too memorable.)

A few more reasons for my aversion to viewing a movie repeatedly:
-Time. I find it hard to dedicate too much time to watching movies when I start recalling all of the books I have around my apartment that are waiting for me. Longer films are especially challenging for me, not because I become restless or bored but I must be completely dedicated to a film before watching it. Which is why it was two years before I was able to tackle Edgar Reitz's wonderful twenty-five hour epic "Heimat II."
-The vast number of poetry videos (readings, neo-benshi performances, etc.) available online, usually ONLY online.

No comments: