Tuesday, November 18, 2008

SFSU Poetry Center

Tonight I watched two poetry videos. The first a reading by Nathaniel Mackey, courtesy of the superb University of Chicago Poem Present site & second a symposium on Octavio Paz courtesy of the Library of Congress. Naropa Univesity has generously archived many of their lectures & readings and allowed free access to them. Now it is SFSU Poetry Center's turn. I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now. In the past I have ordered four videos from the Center: two Berrigan readings, a Lamantia reading & a Paz reading costing over one hundred dollars total. My suggestion is for the Center to archive all of their video recordings online & if free access is out of the question due to costs, then allow subscriptions! I would happily pay forty dollars per month for access to their treasures, even if it meant the only affordable format was streaming video (Real Player, etc.) I'm fairly confident that most people interested would not only be willing to pay twenty-forty dollars per month but also in the end the Center would actually make more money from it.

No comments: