Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Three documentaries

Late last night/ early this morning I was quite elated to stumble upon THREE dvds on netflix of enormous interest.

First- "Ahmad Shamlou: Master Poet of Liberty"
About a year ago, after watching the documentary on Forrugh Farrokhzad "The Mirror of the Soul" (by far one of the greatest documentaries on a poet I've ever seen), and searching sites relating to Iranian poetry I came across some info. on the Shamlou documentary. At that time it had yet to be released with subtitles and the necessary regional code. This is quite major.

Second- "Juan, I Forgot I Don't Remember"
Mexican director Juan Carlos Rulfo's documentary on his father Juan Rulfo, poet & novelist. Juan Jose Arreola and Jaime Sabines are listed as among those interviewed.

Third- "Grandes Pensadores"
Netflix description:
"Originally broadcast on Mexican television, these absorbing profiles explore the lives and work of two celebrated writers -- author, journalist and activist Carlos Monsiváis Aceves and poet Jaime Sabines Gutierrez. Involved in the quest for Puerto Rican independence, Aceves influenced the progressive movement in his homeland. Gutierrez earned the moniker "The Sniper of Literature" with his dynamic writings exploring the landscapes of Spain."

I am currently registered for the three-at-a-time plan. One of the films I have at home I watched yesterday, the other two (actually two parts of one film) Hans Jurgen-Syberberg's "Our Hitler: A Film from Germany" (one of Susan Sontag's favorite films) I have yet to watch. I'm going to return them today though as I am dying to see the above three films.

No comments: